Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sunday Morning Wake Up Call


Mike woke up on Sunday at 5 a.m. breathing funny and telling me that his chest hurt. Bad. Really bad. I got on the computer and looked up his symptoms: sudden chest/abdomen pain near the sternum. WebMD was spot on: ectopic pregnancy. Great.

I called the neighbor across the street and she came over to stay with my sleeping children until my parents could get here 1/2 an hour later. We live 90 seconds from American Fork Hospital. Good news, right? Unfortunately, we have Blue Cross Insurance and not IHC. So off to Orem we went to Timpanogos Hospital. I started to get really nervous when Mike told me to run two red lights and use the car to push construction barrels out of the way. (I didn't know the Sentra could be so aggressive.)

We got to the ER, and, as usual, had to wait FOREVER for relief. I was afraid they'd have to treat my poor husband for a broken hand after he punched the wall from the pain. After a CAT scan, an ultrasound, and some much-deserved morphine, it was decided that Mike has several gallstones.

After almost 6 hours in the ER, we were sent home with a prescription for painkillers and orders to stay in bed until he felt better. Yesterday was his appointment with the surgeon-- and it's been determined that October 9th will be gallbladder removal day. Hopefully he'll have 3 pain-free weeks until then.

P.S. I used a Mayo Clinic graphic, I hope that's okay, Uncle Jeff.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.websurg.com/video/index.php?doi=vd01en1372e&redim=1

Here's a link if you want to see a video of a lap chole. You'll have to register but its free. Pretty informative.